Bun venit pe situl nostru! Domnul să te binecuvânteze!

Faraoani: Historical and geographical references

The village of Faraoani is located in the central part of Moldova east of the Siret River in one of the valleys of Culmea Pietricica, 15 Km distance from the city of Bacau. In the Southwest, it is bordered by the village of Cleja and toward the Northeast, by the village called Nicolae Balcescu.

Faraoani is both a village and a communal center, with Valea-Mare completing the commune. At the present moment, the village is composed of the following areas: Cartierul Nou, Lerand, Bisericii, Trei Stejari, Cacova Mare, Cacova Mica and Moghiorus. The meaning of the name is enough controversial.  It may have been named after a certain a certain author; it might be of Magyar/Hungarian origin, "Forrofalva", "forro" - "fierbinte" - from the Latin documents, or it may be titled "Forrovan", "van" determining the affiliation with the village Other authors conclude that the meaning of this name is like a popular appellative or is a name from the legend they still tell regarding the beautiful Farra the girl of the blacksmith from those regions. Farra let herself be seduced by the ruler, Stefan cel Mare and Sfant For this reason, the people of Faraoani are also nicknamed Csango ("ceangai"). Regarding historical evidences of the village and its inhabitants, we can give the following references:

- In accordance with chronicles of that period, the Hussite were chased from Bohemia and Hungaria in 1420 and migrated to Moldova. Sassi settled in Cotnari and Baia, but the Hungarians to Faraoani, Valea Seaca (Nicolae Balcescu), and Bacau. As a result of that historical period, the village was inhabited by Catholics because the Hussites preferred the Catholic settlements.

  • Today information about the situations of the different villages/Catholic churches from Moldova still exists and is available at the Vatican library (the most known document, Codex Bandinus, mentions our village, Faraoani).

  • Goia and teleaga, two landowners, governed the properties of the village around 1600.

  • The ruler, Stefan Tomsa, bought the properties of the village of Faraoani in March 24, 1615 and he gave the land to the Solca Monastery from Suceava.

  • The old precincts of the village around the cemetery were abandoned in 1774 to form the present village. From here the upper district would be named Faraoani but the inferior side, Valea-Mare.

  • The chancellor, Nicolae Roset, bought the village at the beginning of the nineteenth century.

  • As a result of the agrarian reform of 1864, a certain number of countrymen possessed the land.

The anonymous report about the situations of the churches of Moldova specifies that in 1730 Fr. Anton Manzi built a rectory and a church. Both were replaced successively in 1820 and 1860. The present church is designed in Gothic style. Construction began in July 27, 1930 under the coordination of the architect, Octav Bellet. The public works were suspended because of the economic crisis of the war and the earthquake of November 10, 1940 which destroyed the entire tower. The church was completed around 1965.

As a historic vestige at the cemetery of Faraoani, there is found a small wooden church which says that Stefan cel Mare and Sfant was the ruler and founder, but the proofs are not conclusive or of significance. At the present moment the village population totals about 3000 inhabitants representing 870 families.

sr. Agneza Negru SFMA

See some pictures from Romania

Administrarea Sfântului Mir
Duminică, 1 septembrie 2013, în biserica din Faraoani, 168 de copii au primit sacramentul sfântului Mir în cadrul sfintei Liturghii de la ora 11.00. După un timp de lungi pregătiri, a venit ziua în care copiii au primit darurile Duhului Sfânt. Pentru început, episcopul Aurel Percă a fost primit cu aplauze... [ continuare ]
Liturghie cu requiem pentru răposații accidentului de pe Valea Uzului
PS Petru Gherghel a prezidat Liturghia de comemorare a 25 de ani de la tragicul accident de pe Valea Uzului în care și-au pierdut viața 27 de persoane (19 din Faraoani, 4 din Valea Mare și 4 din Orbeni). Liturghia a fost celebrată în cimitirul din Faraoani, duminică, 25 august... [ continuare ]
Primiția pr. Marius-Cătălin Alistar, OFMConv.
Parohia Faraoani a avut bucuria ca fratele Marius-Cătălin Alistar, originar din această comunitate, să fie hirotonit preot pentru Ordinul Fraților Minori Conventuali, la 29 iunie 2013, în catedrala "Sfânta Fecioara Maria, Regina" din Iași, de către PS Petru Gherghel... [ continuare ]

© 2006-2013 Parohia Romano-Catolică Faraoani - tel.: +40-234-254015; e-mail: faraoani@gmail.com